Friday, August 18, 2006

My experiences with the Weltmeister..aka Worldcup

woohoo! Glad to be back in Singapore.. clean roads.. 2000000 dustbins.. automatic doors.. my old life..and most importantly.. my dahlin friends!!!! So glad to be back with u guys!

Been meeting up with my friends.. one grp a day for the past few days.. and they generally have two reactions when they see me..

(1) " You have not changed one bit.. u look the same!!!!!" .. Compliment or insult? I know not
(2) " You were there during the world cup!!!" .. Indeed something that i should feel lucky about!

The Weltmeister, 2006 is indeed an event that has captured a permanent place in my mind. Though I ofcourse did not manage to watch any of the matches at the stadium, being part of the fever..was something I would never ever forget..

We watched one of the first few matches.. England vs Paraguay at the floating screen in Frankfurt.. It was simply amazng..
Ya, so ttz the floating screen.. We were allowed to watch the match on either side of the river.. Casually sit by the river side..with a nice drink..and enjoy the fever and the cheering! ;) ..All matches were played live on this screen.

Well, the rest of the matches, i watched it in Darmstadt itself. There were plenty screens all over.. Every shop had a tv and there was a crowd watching.. There were flags everywhere.. Also, Karlshof had residents from nearly every country in Europe..and no matter who won or lost.. there would be celebrations and partys going on the whole night..
The one match that is etched in my mind.. is Germany vs Argentina. A friend of mine and I had gone to watch it at a place, Lichtwiese which had a Biergarten (an open air place to drink beer) where they had erected a huge screen. Most of us were nearly sure that Germany was going to lose against the very strong Argentenien team. But unexpectedly during the penality shot Germany won!! The nervous and anxious atmosphere broke into a joyous and excited one!! My friend and I proceeded to the City centre to celebrate. The mood was simply superb! Many were cheerin "Berlin, Berlin, wir fahren nach Berlin"..this meant.. that the german team would make it to Berlin where the finals were going to be held.

We painted our faces..and were in the city the whole night cheering away! It was an amazing experience!

3 comments:

Its ma Life...... said...

hey raji
this is the one which gave me the inspiration to create my own blog...real good one dear...thats so swwet of you to share your experiences with everyone of us..
cheerzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......alvin

archana said...

heyyy Raji! Really cool to read about your Germany experiences! And the WORLD CUP! WOOOW! And btw, you look the same! Haven't changed at all! :p Anyway,I'm gonna link you k. See you around! :)

Unknown said...

Argh!!! Damn Germany!!! they beat Argentina... Vamos Argentina.. next World Cup, we will thrash Deutschland... not by a weeeny meeeny penalty shootout, but... by proper goals.. Vamos!!!!